I made this last week for my family and it was DELICIOUS. It’s simple and doesn’t take too much effort for a tasty weeknight meal. This is something I need for my meals during the week because I am so tired and hungry when I get home that I need food, and I usually needed it 10 minutes ago. This means that if food doesn’t get into my belly as quickly as possible then I will slowly become the meanest person in all of the land. This happens to other people, too, right??? Isn’t it called being “hangry”?
Well, luckily, this meal saved me and my family from my untamed, hunger induced anger. It also warmed my soul, and made me feel renewed instantly. I hope it does the same for you.
Vegetarian Chili Verde: serves 6-8
* 5-6 cups vegetable broth (depending on if you want it a bit soupy)
* 2 (15 oz) cans Northern White beans, drained
* 1 (15 oz.) can of Chickpeas, drained
* 1 cup of frozen yellow corn
* 2 cups salsa verde
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
* ½ tablespoon poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 large yellow onion, chopped/diced
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
* Green onion and cilantro for garnish (optional)
* 2 % cheese for garnish (optional)
* low-fat sour cream for garnish (optional)
* Avocado for garnish (optional)
- Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium/high heat until the onions are transparent.
- Add all of the ingredients (except garnish) to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 5-10 minutes at least on simmer.
- Serve hot, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, green onion, avocado and more peppers if desired. Enjoy!